Sunday, May 6, 2007

Lippman vs Dewey

“Knowledge must come not from the conscious but from the environment.”

Walter Lippman doesn’t think we have much control over our own thoughts. In Public Opinion, he proposes that we need an elite group of experts to make the big decisions for us. He thinks that the common person’s reason isn’t developed and cannot be acted on. His views on democracy are dark and do not offer much hope for the future.

Lippman is clearly a believer of agenda setting. He thinks that a higher power (like the media) decides what we think about. I do not believe in the agenda setting theory for many reasons. First of all, it’s ridiculous to think that one specific group of people can or should make decisions for the masses. It’s true that our government is a small group making decisions for the entire country, but not only do we elect them, but we have the power to tell them what we want. I am a firm believer in democracy and I feel that I have power to make a difference and to be heard. Secondly, I think that the internet and citizen journalism are proof that the people will be heard and can decide for themselves what’s important. We’re seeing an increase in citizen involvement in news and entertainment coverage. What would Walter Lippman say to this? I think he’d be at a loss for words, which is saying something for him.

I believe more in what John Dewey says. He’s more positive about democracy and public participation. Most of all, he focuses on communication. While Lippman implies that we should just sit back and let the elite discuss things and make decisions for us, Dewey believes that we should all participate in the discussion. He would probably believe more in the uses and gratification theory.

I definitely think like Dewey, but I believe it’s important to study Lippman as well. He has valuable points that challenge the way that I think. Studying his side helped me form my opinion on the subject and made me think about how I use my voice and how I can use it more.

1 comment:

B. Weaver said...

Do you think they would have imagined that 80 some years after they started this conversation we would be continuing it?